The Suburban Music Study Club was founded by Alice Malcolm-Switzer in 1899 under the name, The Music Study Club of Newark and the Oranges. The club eventually moved from Newark to the Maplewood-Millburn area and continued to meet in private homes. In 1980, the club moved to its present location, the Chase Room at the Madison Public Library.
The Suburban Music Study Club has always promoted a high standard for classical music performance. We are especially proud to support scholarships for talented and deserving young musicians with donations from members and friends.